Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Week 41

"This is one of the most special experiences I have had so far on my mission. For a second I felt as if I had a glimpse into what it must have been like to be The Savior teaching a multitude of people."


Monday, May 2, 2016



We spent Family Home Evening with a cool kid named Donaldo!




This week some fun stuff happened!

First off we had some people come to church, that is always a plus. Also a family that I love very much down in T-3 was baptized on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday! I was so happy to know it finally happened! Besides that a pretty normal week. 

There was a fuss about manifestations that could happen because the inflation of the Metical (Mozambique currency) and the change in prices. Besides that nothing spectacular. I wasn't able to do email yesterday because of a national holiday. Dia dos Trabalhadores - (Workers Day). So it was on May 1st (Happy Belated Birthday to my little sister Savvy BTW!) Because it landed on a Sunday they recognized the holiday on May 2nd so that no one has to go in to work. So therefore every place that had internet was shut down for the day. We played basketball for our P-day and that was fun. 

So as for my scatter-brained summary of the week I feel the need to apologize, sorry. 

I had a really cool experience this past week and this will be my spiritual thought. 

Praia Nova is a very poor area in Beira, if not the poorest. Because they live on the beach, and due to the weather here in Mozambique, many of their houses were destroyed. They were placed in a refugee camp outside of The Pavilion (The place where we play Gatorball.) 

Elder Ortiz and I decided to go and help as much as we could. When we arrived, all the children flocked to us and it was very odd to me. I'm pretty sure it is because we are just a couple of white guys in Africa. We played with them for a little then we asked if we could help them with a message that we had to offer. 

They pulled out a straw mat for us to sit down on and when we sat, over 35-45 people sat around us in a circle. We began sharing a small message about how this church and gospel blesses the lives of all those who accept it. It became very quiet and everyone was focused in on us. We ended with a prayer and we left. Little children followed us until a little ways down the road and then they left us. 

This is one of the most special experiences I have had so far on my mission. For a second I felt as if I had a glimpse into what it must have been like to be The Savior teaching a multitude of people. Now I am not comparing myself in any way, shape or form to Christ. That, quiet frankly, would be sacrilegious. But I realized something - that as a missionary, a representative of Jesus Christ, these experiences will happen. Not only good experiences but bad ones as well. 

Elder Jeffery R. Holland said:

"I offer this as my personal feeling. I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are The Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never ever easy for Him? It seems to me that missionaries and mission leaders have to spend at least a few moments in Gethsemane. Missionaries and mission leaders have to take at least a step or two toward the summit of Calvary."

I feel this is true. But I also know we will feel some of the purest joy as well. A glimpse of the joy that Christ felt. 

I just want to testify of the miracle of missionary work. It is the greatest blessing anyone can ever receive. The ability to carry the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I feel happier than I ever have in my life. I know as we truly do the things Christ would do we get a small portion of what it must have been like for Him. I know He lives and that this is His work. In His sacred name, Amen.


Love to all,

Elder Nimmo

Dia dos Trabalhadores! Worker's Day in Mozambique!

Joao Amelia Dalton and family getting baptized.

A sleepy, exhausted selfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment