Thursday, April 7, 2016

Week 37

"When things just don't go our way, we can decide to overcome them by choice. Things happen that sometimes we can't control. But we can always control the way we act and how we handle ourselves."


Monday, April 4th, 2016

 

"Many times I think we choose to blame our circumstances or others around us 
for the things that are happening in our lives." 



Hello Everyone! 

Transfer time!!! 

And I am staying exactly the same! 


This week was good. We taught some lessons. Found some people. Went to church. It was quite special. I found a really cute puppy this week and I have seen so many beautiful sunsets. Baixa is a very beautiful area.

But on a serious note, I am very hopeful for this transfer. We have had some obstacles but we are looking to hurdle those obstacles and continue the work here in Baixa. 

Also I hope conference was enjoyable. I have not seen it yet so if you asked a question to me about it and I didn't respond it is because of this exact reason. But one thing is crazy is I will only miss two more LDS General Conferences in the states. We won't be able to view the past conference for a couple of weeks. But I am excited to hear the announcement of a Harare, Zimbabwe Temple! 

This week I just want to share a quick thought about how we are masters of ourselves. Many times I think we choose to blame our circumstances or others around us for the things that are happening in our lives. We can say I am upset because that car cut me off or I am sad because I lost a game. I can continue for a while with these examples but I'll cut to the chase. 

Really when these things happen we make a conscious choice to change our attitudes, whether for bad or for good. But when things happen to us that we don't like we don't have to be creatures of our circumstances. When things just don't go our way, we can decide to overcome them by choice. Things happen that sometimes we can't control. But we can always control the way we act and how we handle ourselves. 

I have learned this a lot on the mission. I would say 70%, or more, of the time spent on a mission, things will not go the way you want them to go. But we can not let ourselves be discouraged. Missionary or not, it is crucial to always make a decision. When we lose that battle, when we let ourselves become angry or frustrated or sad, we lose time where we can be happy. 

This requires patience and practice. I know that I need a lot more of both of those. But I know slowly I am becoming a master of myself. I pray all of us will be at peace with ourselves and become our own masters. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love you all!


Elder Nimmo  


No comments:

Post a Comment