Monday, March 7, 2016

Week 32


"The Lord doesn't always call the equipped, but He always equips the called."





Hello, it's me.

Who gets the reference? 

I hope you are all doing well! First week here in the Baixa! It is going great! My companion that I am training is Elder Ortiz and he is a great missionary. Practically fluent in Portuguese and has a really strong desire to just go out and work. We did very well this week! Met a lot of people and started helping the area progress. Because we are in the city we work a lot in the buildings and because of that it is like I am serving in a completely different mission. We knock on doors so much here, (that is because there are actually doors to knock on) and we have had some success for only three days in the area so far. 

There is a building in our area called Radio due to the radio tower on the roof. Elder Ortiz and I have gone to that roof every day in our area so far. For some strange reason it isn't locked. But it sure does show not only what our area looks like but what Beira looks like from a bird's-eye view.

This week it rained so much. Yesterday especially. We had to wear rain boots because the water was almost up to my knees!!! Pretty crazy. It never rains like this in Maputo. I haven't seen any spiders, snakes, or sharks yet but I'm sure I will. 


I don't have much to say this week on a spiritual note. It has been kind of hectic. But I want to share something that Savannah shared with me in a little note when I was on the way to the airport. (She hid it so I would find it later.) In it she shared this quote, "The Lord doesn't always call the equipped, but He always equips the called." I have a testimony of this small doctrine that my little sister shared with me. These words have burned into my heart over these past 7 months because it is the truth. I am far from prepared or equipped to be a representative of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I am a sinner, who makes mistakes every day. And many times I think why do I have this privilege to represent Him. It is because He called me. Through the infinite wisdom and grace of our Lord, I am able to be here in this moment serving these people. I am able to be His representative because He wants me to be. I know that He is making me a better man, that He is forming me into a tool that will help others come unto Him. I know that He loves me, and He loves you also. This is my testimony that I share, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Have a great week!

Elder Nimmo

I'm training my new companion, meet Elder Ortiz from Orem, Utah!


Welcome to Beira!
Bird's-eye view of my new area.


A real bird's-eye view of Beira.

I'm currently serving in the area of Beira called Baixa. The marker is where the church building is.

Thanks to Google maps you can see where I have relocated from the capital city of Maputo to Beira.

Elder Griffeth lives in my apartment and this just gives you an idea of the rainfall we've had.

Not only am I "hanging" in there but I love my new area, I'm really happy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment